Picnic basket in cowhide signed by "Barrett & Sons".
Picnic basket in cowhide signed by “Barrett & Sons”.
1 in stock
Picnic basket in cowhide signed by “Barrett & Sons” from the late 19th century. Lock by strap and silver buckle. It is made up of a kettle, burner cage, burner, boxes for water, tea, sugar, cookies, a glass jar and a box of matches. The lid contains two teaspoons.
Andrew Barrett was born in Ireland in 1819 but had set up in business in London as a brush and comb maker by 1846 at 118 Piccadilly. By 1852 he had moved to 86A Edgware Road. By 1865 he is also listed as a sponge importer and his premises have greatly increased to include 53 Albermarle St, 63 & 64 Piccadilly, 186 Oxford St and 29 St. Georges Pl. as well as his Edgware Road address. By 1880 he had moved from Edgware Road, and Oxford Street which was occupied by Charles Usher who described himself as late Andrew Barrett and conducted a similar business. Usher was likely an employee who set up on his own when the premises became available. Barrett kept the Piccadilly and Albermarle addresses and infact had added premises at 157 – 158 Piccadilly by 1894. By 1899 his sons had joined the business and they had expanded to 52 & 53 Albermarle St. and 372 Oxford St whilst retaining their Piccadilly addresses. With the exception of Oxford Street, they still had these addresses in 1912. Although Barretts started off, and are primarily listed in the trade directories as Brush Manufacturers, the company expanded and diversified to include trunk making and selling a range of travel equipment. They are know to have retailed silver items made by Henry Cooper & Sons of Birmingham.Learn more about the product
|Dimensions||24.0 × 11.0 × 13.0 cm|
As a customer of DHD Dorantes, you have several options for the collection or shipment of the lots you purchase on our website, either by direct sale or by auction:
- Pick up at DHD Dorantes premises You can pick up your lots at our facilities in Lebrija (Seville), once you have been informed by email that the lots are available. You can check our address and our updated collection timetable and calendar on our Contact page.
- Shipping by Transport Agency:
- If the delivery address is in the Iberian Peninsula or in one of the countries indicated in our shipping table, the shipping costs will be automatically added to the sales invoice and will be calculated automatically according to the weight table. (VIEW SHIPPING TABLE)
- If the delivery address is not in the Iberian Peninsula or in our country table, DHD Dorantes will send you within a few days after the sale a quotation for the transport and packaging costs.
- Collection of batches by your private carrier:
- You can use your own mode of transport or hire the one of your choice directly. In this case, you will only be charged for packaging if this is necessary.
For more information on our special delivery conditions, please see our special delivery conditions in the section Shipping or collection options at DHD Dorantes